I hope that as you read this, you’re having a great day! But sometimes, one of those days that you just don’t want to do anything happens. Or maybe you are having negative thoughts. Or having car trouble. Or your teenager has an attitude with you. Whatever it may be. If today is a bad day for you, take some of these tips on how to turn that bad day into a good one.
- Be grateful. Get a piece of paper and a pen out. Intentionally write down 10 things you are grateful for. Take a few minutes and say them out loud. Sit with your grateful list ’til your mood changes. Remember the list throughout your day.
- Put on some music. Choose a playlist of music you love and play it Sing for a few minutes and get into the lyrics of some feel good, positive music. Or even put some instrumental music on and sing your own lyrics!
- Take a walk. Take 20 or 30 minutes. Go outside and take a walk around your neighborhood. Or if you’re at work, take your break and get some exercise. Getting your body moving can release some feel good hormones and be a quick fix to brighten your mood. If you have a little more time and have the resource, go to a gym and get a workout in.
- Have a cup of coffee. I love coffee, so I’d choose to drink it and it would make me happy! But if you’d rather have tea, get a cup of some delicious tea. Sit with your cup and enjoy the warmth going down. Mentally shut out distractions and stress. Enjoy your cup of coffee. Or tea!
- Eat something healthy. Getting nutritious food in your body can change your mood because you know you’re doing something good for yourself and making the effort to be healthy. It could also be a start to changing your overall diet, if you want it to be! Start with one new healthy choice a day. Eat a salad or drink a smoothie!
- Do something good for someone else. Make someone else’s day positive by stepping outside of your situation. It can change your mood drastically by changing your perspective. Say, “I may be having a bad day, but it’s not about me.”